Saturday, September 14, 2013

Daily tip - Why do my nails turn YELLOW?

Hello everyone! :)

  I just can't avoid it, it's a must for me to upload some stuff to my blog, and I bet you appreciate it as well. Well, even though I can't paint my nails, I've decided to update you with some information that I consider to be useful for those who keep coloring nails. On my previous post (Challenge Updates), I've told you that I wasn't liking the looks of my nails, and that they need a time to breathe and get healthier. Well, that has an explanation that most of people doesn't know. And I'll explain it to you right now. So:

Why do my nails turn YELLOW?

  First of all, you must know what are your nails made of... Your nails are planes of hard, tightly packed epidermis cells, the same cells that make up your skin. That's right, these particular cells of your nails are considered dead, and they're filled with a protein called keratin. Only three-fourths of your nail bed (the part where your skin is still attached) is actually exposed above your skin. And it takes about six months for a nail to grow completely, and men's nails grow faster than women's nails.

  All right, so, like skin, nails need exposure to oxygen to stay healthy. The keratin in nails also allows the water to pass through your nails. And when your nails present irregular ridges, peeling, breaking and discoloration, for no reason, it could be a sign of possible health issues. But, in many cases, yellow nails are just a result of staining due to contact with certain chemicals, such as acetone, nail polish and nail polish remover, or even due to smoking. 

  That's why it's necessary to give your nails a polish-free week, every once in a while, and it's extremely important to use a protective base coat. 

  But then you ask yourselves: 

I already have my nails yellow, what can I do? 

  Most of dermatologists say that to eliminate yellow stains, you must lightly buff your natural nails and soak them in lemon juice for about five to ten minutes. Soaking must be done every single day, when you're having your polish-free week. But... Why lemon juice? Lemons have some oxidative properties that are able to remove deeply ingrained impurities and discoloration from nails. It will also strengthen your nails. It is also important to keep your nails and cuticles hydrated.

  And this is what I do every day.

  I hope this was helpful to you. Thanks.

  Kisses,
  Patrícia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment